Does the video play without issues in the ExoPlayer Demo player when the backend transcodes an MPEG2 recording into HLS?

I’ve noticed that even while content is being transcoded from MPEG2 recording to HLS format on the backend, video playing in the ExoPlayer Demo player is continuously smooth and uninterrupted. I’m excited to look into the technological difficulties and hurdles that were overcome to produce this smooth playback experience because this accomplishment is astounding.
For similar projects or implementations, a fuller comprehension of these complexities could be quite helpful.

2 Likes

There are multiple technical challenges that must be overcome in order to maintain uninterrupted video playback in the ExoPlayer Demo player while MPEG2 recording is converted to HLS format on the backend. Here is an outline of the main technical issues that programmers deal with in these situations:

1. Format conversion

HLS requires conversion from MPEG2, an outdated video codec, to more modern codecs like H.264 or H.265 (HEVC). Resource-intensive and requiring careful control to guarantee video quality and player compatibility, conversion is a process.

2. Adaptive Bitrate Streaming (ABR)

HLS frequently uses ABR, which creates numerous video versions with various bitrates and resolutions. It is a considerable problem to maintain smooth transitions between different versions, account for viewer network circumstances, and avoid buffering or stuttering while changing bitrates.

3. Segmentation

Video is divided into parts by HLS that are typically 2 to 10 seconds long. The quick and efficient creation of these portions is crucial. Playback can be hampered by delays in segment generation or delivery.

4. Quality of Service (QoS)

It’s important to monitor and improve QoS metrics including buffer sizes, download speeds, and playback mistakes. This information helps improve the user experience by informing dynamic decisions about bitrate switching.

5. Network Conditions

To maintain uninterrupted playing, the backend must adjust to changing network conditions. This entails dynamically altering the bitrate and segment choice based on the bandwidth made accessible by the viewers.

I hope this may help you! Let me know if you have further queries.