How can I add opening animation effects to the video's beginning using FFmpeg?

At the beginning of the video, I wish to apply opening animation effects to each composited image for a project I’m working on in college. Is there any way to do it in FFmpeg?

1 Like

Using FFmpeg, you may overlay an animated sequence over a video to add opening animation effects. To achieve these effects, you can concatenate numerous films, pictures, or sequences using FFmpeg. Here’s a simple example of applying a fade-in effect to a PNG image. As necessary, change the settings to suit your particular animation.

ffmpeg -i input_video.mp4 -loop 1 -i opening_animation.png -filter_complex "[1:v]fade=in:st=0:d=3[ov];[0:v][ov]overlay[outv]" -map "[outv]" -map 0:a -c:a copy output_video.mp4

In the above command,

• -i input_video.mp4: Specifies the input video file.
  • -loop 1 -i opening_animation.png: Specifies the opening animation image (PNG) and sets it to loop once.
  • -filter_complex "[1:v]fade=in:st=0:d=3[ov];[0:v][ov]overlay[outv]": Applies a fade-in effect to the opening animation for 3 seconds and overlays it onto the input video.
  • -map "[outv]" -map 0:a: Maps the output video and the input audio.
  • -c:a copy: Copies the audio stream without re-encoding.
  • output_video.mp4: Specifies the output video file.

Note:

1. You can use the location of your animation file (an image or another video) in place of opening_animation.png.

2. For the opening animation, modify the fade filter parameters (st=0:d=3) according to the length of time you would want.

3. For more effects, look through the FFmpeg documentation’s other filter choices.

It is assumed in this example that your opening animation uses a PNG picture. By utilizing different photos or video sequences and modifying the filter parameters appropriately, you may create a variety of opening effects.

For more you check FFmpeg official documentation, visit: ffmpeg Documentation

There are so many but I don’t have much time to find them! Can someone please tell me here?

FFmpeg provides a great filter called “concat” especially to merge two or more video files. You can use this filter to add an opening animation to the beginning of your video by creating a separate file for the opening animation and then concatenating it with your main video file.

Here is the basic syntax for using the “concat” filter:

ffmpeg -i input1.mp4 -i input2.mp4 -filter_complex "[0:v] [0:a] [1:v] [1:a] concat=n=2:v=1:a=1 [v] [a]" -map "[v]" -map "[a]" output.mp4

This command will concatenate the input files, input1.mp4, and input2.mp4, into a single output file, output.mp4. The opening animation should be placed in the input1.mp4 file, and the main video should be placed in the input2.mp4 file.

Do let me know if it works or not!

Thanks, it really saves a lot of time.

While creating a video using FFMPEG, how to add multiple animations to a single image?

For this first, you will need to use a series of image processing filters.
One way to do this is to use the “zoompan” filter to zoom in on the image and pan around it, the “fade” filter to fade the image in and out, and the “rotate” filter to rotate the image.

Here is an example command that demonstrates how to use these filters to add multiple animation effects to a single image:

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i image.jpg -vf "zoompan=z='if(lte(zoom,1.0),1.5,max(1.001,zoom-0.0015))':d=125:s=1920x1080,fade=t=in:st=0:d=2,fade=t=out:st=3:d=2,rotate=angle=0:c=black@0.5:ow=rotw(0):oh=roth(0)" -t 5 -pix_fmt yuv420p output.mp4

This command will create a 5-second video from the input image, “image.jpg”. The “zoompan” filter will zoom in on the image and pan around it throughout the video. The “fade” filter will fade the image in at the beginning and fade it out at the end. The “rotate” filter will rotate the image by 0 degrees (i.e., no rotation).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.