How can I configure ffserver to support rtmp instead of http?

In order to improve our real-time media capabilities, I’m looking into the potential of switching FFserver from HTTP-based streaming to RTMP streaming. Due to the complexity of this configuration update.

I’m actively looking for advice and insightful information to help me get through it effectively. I’m mainly searching for thorough details, detailed instructions, and best practices for configuring FFserver for RTMP streaming while making sure that the real-time media delivery process runs smoothly and effectively.
I would be very grateful for any knowledge, suggestions, or suggested resources from the community to help me carry out this configuration update successfully.

3 Likes

There are several stages involved in configuring FFserver to handle RTMP (Real-Time Messaging Protocol) rather than HTTP in order to enable live video streaming. Here is a thorough tutorial on configuring FFserver for RTMP streaming:

1. Download FFmpeg

2. Create an FFserver Configuration File

• An FFserver configuration file, commonly called ffserver.conf, is required.
  • Create this file in the directory of your choice.
    An example of a condensed FFserver configuration made for RTMP streaming is provided below:
HTTPPort 8090
RTSPPort 8554
RTMPPort 1935

<Stream live.flv>
    Format flv
    Feed live.ffm
</Stream>

<Feed live.ffm>
    File /tmp/live.ffm
    FileMaxSize 10M
    ACL allow 127.0.0.1
</Feed>

In the above example:

• HTTPPort, RTSPPort, and RTMPPort dictate the ports FFserver will listen on for various protocols.
  • defines the stream name (“live.flv” in this case) and its format.
  • specifies the feed settings, including file location and access control.

3. Start the FFserver

Use the following command to start FFserver, being sure to include the location of your configuration file:
ffserver -f /path/to/ffserver.conf

4. Publish RTMP Streams

To publish streams to your FFserver, you will need RTMP streaming software or a client. OBS Studio, ffmpeg, and numerous RTMP libraries for various programming languages are common tools for this purpose.

5. Access RTMP Streams

After publishing RTMP streams to your FFserver, viewers can access the streams by entering the RTMP URL and stream key into an RTMP player or viewer.

1 Like

In order to better meet the demands of real-time streaming, I am thinking of switching from HTTP-based streaming to RTMP using ffserver for my live event streaming business. Is it possible to maximize this transition for consumers and broadcasters alike?

1 Like

Yes, it’s possible and you must update ffserver’s configuration file with RTMP settings, including the RTMP server IP and port, in order to set it up for RTMP. Additionally, you need to make sure the server has enough power to support real-time streaming and give broadcasters instructions on how to set up RTMP-compatible broadcasting software.

In the end, try to explain to viewers why real-time streaming is beneficial and how to use RTMP-compatible clients to access the service. Also keep an eye on server performance to make sure the transfer goes smoothly.