How do we detect if DRM blocks video playback?

I’m watching a DRM-protected premium video on a video platform. They possess the required authorizations and credentials. Playback is started, however, the video doesn’t play as it should because of a few problems.

What methods are available to ascertain whether DRM blocking is the cause of the playback problem?

1 Like

For your situation, within the console logs, look for error messages such as “DRMError” that may indicate a DRM-related problem. Furthermore, certain systems include DRM blocking-related error codes, like “encryptedMediaError.”
These might be important clues that the playback hiccup is being caused by DRM.

That makes sense. Does logging or capturing these indicators for further analysis need any particular steps?

Yes, make sure your logging system is set up to detect DRM-related problems to capture these indicators. Look for any DRM-specific messages in the console logs by using the developer tools provided by your browser.

Additionally, you can add error event listeners to your player so that when DRM problems arise, custom logging is triggered. In this manner, you collect comprehensive data for a later study.

I appreciate your advice on this point. Are there any frequent causes for DRM blocking in this scenario? What are some possible underlying factors that I need to be mindful of?

DRM blocking may happen for several reasons. It could be the result of network-related issues, license server problems, or incorrectly installed DRM settings.

To help you focus, see if the license requests are granted, look for any errors in the network requests, and make sure the DRM configuration complies with the requirements of the DRM provider of your choice.

That is great. Does cross-browser compatibility exist? Could browser-specific DRM filtering exist?

Compatibility between browsers is essential. There may be differences in how certain DRM technologies like Widevine or PlayReady are implemented in different browsers. Make sure the browsers you want to target are compatible with your DRM system. Additionally, confirm that any required DRM-related browser extensions or components are installed and current.