I am trying to extract HLS and MPEG-DASH video stream URLs from a website with Google Chrome browser, any idea how to do it?
Hey Annie! Happy to see you again on our community.
Please use the following guide to extract URLs as you’ve mentioned:
- Open your browser (preferably Google Chrome) and then open a new tab.
- Open developer’s console (CTRL + SHIFT + I for Google Chrome and follow [this guide](Finding Your Browser's Developer Console | Balsamiq do that%2C go into,shortcut Option %2B ⌘ %2B C .) for Safari)
- Try to locate the video in HLS format, for that you have to use m3u8 as a query in the developer console search bar. If the client delivers its video in HLS format then you will find multiple URLs ending with an m3u8 extension even for a single video, from which you have to master the playlist URL, master playlists are usually named main.m3u8 or master.m3u8 but it can differ from client to client. Master playlist for HLS format usually contains multiple resolutions listed in it.
- Try to locate the video in MPEG-DASH format, for that you have to use MPD as a query in the developer console search bar. Unlike the HLS format, there will only be one file with an MPD extension for MPEG-DASH format for a single video. Master playlist for MPEG-DASH format usually contains multiple resolutions listed in it.
- Once you have located the video URL with any format, you can copy the URL by right-clicking on it in the developers’ console.
I hope this short guide helps you.