How to extract video stream URL for a webpage in chrome browser?

I am trying to extract HLS and MPEG-DASH video stream URLs from a website with Google Chrome browser, any idea how to do it?

1 Like

Hey Annie! Happy to see you again on our community.

Please use the following guide to extract URLs as you’ve mentioned:

1. Open your browser (preferably Google Chrome) and then open a new tab.
  2. Open developer’s console (CTRL + SHIFT + I for Google Chrome and follow [this guide](Finding Your Browser's Developer Console | Balsamiq do that%2C go into,shortcut Option %2B ⌘ %2B C .) for Safari)
  3. Try to locate the video in HLS format, for that you have to use m3u8 as a query in the developer console search bar. If the client delivers its video in HLS format then you will find multiple URLs ending with an m3u8 extension even for a single video, from which you have to master the playlist URL, master playlists are usually named main.m3u8 or master.m3u8 but it can differ from client to client. Master playlist for HLS format usually contains multiple resolutions listed in it.
  4. Try to locate the video in MPEG-DASH format, for that you have to use MPD as a query in the developer console search bar. Unlike the HLS format, there will only be one file with an MPD extension for MPEG-DASH format for a single video. Master playlist for MPEG-DASH format usually contains multiple resolutions listed in it.
  5. Once you have located the video URL with any format, you can copy the URL by right-clicking on it in the developers’ console.

I hope this short guide helps you.

1 Like

That seems very simple. Are there any restrictions or warnings to be aware of in this process?

1 Like

Yes, there are some points that need to be in mind as follows:

1. Encryption: Some websites employ encrypted video streams, so even if you manage to locate the URL, you might not be able to play the video straight away unless you have the necessary decryption tools.

2. Dynamic Loading: JavaScript is used by certain websites to load video material dynamically. In certain situations, the URL might not show up in the Network tab until the video begins to play.

3. Legal and Ethical Considerations: Keep in mind that it can be against the law in some places to extract video stream URLs for copyrighted content without the required authorization. Always abide by the law and show respect for intellectual property rights.

4. Content Delivery Networks (CDNs): CDNs can be used to deliver video streams, which may lead to repeated requests for various segments of the video. It’s possible that the URL you locate just links to a particular part of the video.

You can find more on CDN here: A Comprehensive Guide On Image CDN

1 Like

I appreciate the advice and cautions you provided. I will greatly benefit from this for my studies.

1 Like

You’re welcome! Please feel free to request more help if you need it or if you have any other queries about how to extract video stream URLs. I hope your research goes well!