How to fix the issue of only the first image appearing in the final video when using ffmpeg to create a 9-second video from three images?

While using the ffmpeg library to create a 9-second video from three images. The resulting video only displays the first image for three seconds before abruptly ending. What adjustments should I make to my code?

The code operates within an AWS Lambda function to manage temporary storage for the files. Before this issue, I’ve extensively logged the code execution, and everything appears to be functioning correctly. I suspect that the problem may lie within this specific line of code:

.outputOptions(["-c:v libx264", "-t 12", "-pix_fmt yuv420p", "-vf scale=1280:720", "-r 1"]), particularly in conjunction with the concatenation process.

Anyone know about this?

1 Like

You can troubleshoot the problem of only the first image appearing in the final video when using ffmpeg to create a 9-second video from three images, several aspects must be considered. Firstly, make sure the duration for each image is accurately specified. If each image is displayed for 3 seconds, adjust the duration parameter (“-r”) to 1/3 (since the frame rate is typically defined in frames per second).

Then, confirm that the concatenation process is configured correctly to include all three images. The “-t” option in the output options dictates the duration of the output video, which should be set to 9 seconds in this scenario. Moreover, review the scaling and pixel format options to ensure compatibility with the output format.

Lastly, examine any error logs or console outputs for potential issues during the ffmpeg command execution. By meticulously revising and adjusting these parameters, it’s possible to resolve the issue and ensure all three images are correctly displayed in the final 9-second video.

I got you point then, what if I want to accurately adjust the duration parameter (“-r”) in ffmpeg to ensure each image is displayed for the intended duration in the final video?

To adjust the duration parameter (“-r”) in ffmpeg, you need to calculate the appropriate frame rate based on the desired duration of each image in the final video.

Since you want each image to be displayed for 3 seconds in a 9-second video, you should set the frame rate to 1/3 frames per second. This ensures that each image occupies 3 seconds of the total video duration. Therefore, when specifying the “-r” option in the ffmpeg command, use a value of 1/3.

What steps should I take to verify that the concatenation process in ffmpeg is correctly including all three images in the final video?

To ensure that the concatenation process in ffmpeg includes all three images in the final video, you can follow these steps:

1. Check the input sources: Verify that all three images are properly provided as input sources to the ffmpeg command. This can be done by logging the input file paths or examining the command used to invoke ffmpeg.

2. Validate the concatenation method: Ensure that the concatenation method used in ffmpeg is appropriate for combining multiple image files into a single video. The concatenation process typically involves specifying the input files in the correct order and using appropriate options to concatenate them sequentially.

3. Review the ffmpeg command output: After running the ffmpeg command, carefully examine the output generated by ffmpeg for any error messages or warnings related to the concatenation process. Any issues with file paths, formats, or concatenation options will likely be reported here.

4. Verify the final video: Once the ffmpeg command completes execution, check the resulting video file to confirm that all three images are included and displayed as expected. Play the video and inspect each frame to ensure that it corresponds to the intended sequence of images.

By following these steps, you can verify that the concatenation process in ffmpeg is correct including all three images in the final video output.