MKV video not playing in Opera browser

Why does the MKV video format download instead of playing online in Opera Browser?My Opera details:-
Version:89.0.4447.83 Update stream: Stable System: Windows 10 64-bit

1 Like

MKV (Matroska) is a popular open standard video file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, and subtitle tracks in one file. Some versions of the Opera browser may not support playing MKV files natively.

Don’t forget to check our blogs on MKV: MKV - Gumlet
MKV vs MP4 - Which Video Streaming Format is Better?

1 Like

Yeah, agree with you. Now, what should I do?

1 Like

Here are a few options you can try to play an MKV file in Opera:

1. Install a third-party video player extension for Opera, such as VLC Media Player. This will allow you to play MKV files within the browser using the extension.
  2. Convert the MKV file to a format that is supported by Opera, such as MP4. There are many free file conversion tools available online that can help you do this.
  3. Update to the latest version of Opera. Newer versions of the browser may have added support for MKV files.
  4. Use a different web browser that supports MKV files, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Can we convert MKV to MP4 using FFmpeg?

1 Like

Yes, Use the following command to convert the MKV file to MP4:

ffmpeg -i input.mkv output.mp4
Replace input.mkv with the name of your MKV file, and output.mp4 with the desired name for the output file.
Wait for the conversion process to complete. This may take a few minutes, depending on the size of the file and the speed of your computer.

Once the conversion is complete, you should find the output MP4 file in the same directory as the original MKV file.

Please refer this for more information: How do you keep multiple audio and subtitle streams while converting from MKV to MP4 using FFmpeg?