Is there any way to combine PNGs as a Quicktime-compatible MP4 from FFMPEG?

As a video content creator or editor immersed in a project, I encounter a task where I possess a sequence of standalone PNG image files. My objective is to transform these images into a video format suitable for Quicktime, such as MP4. Nevertheless, I’m grappling with the issue of amalgamating these PNGs into a unified video file. To resolve this, I am actively seeking a solution that utilizes FFmpeg, a versatile multimedia framework.

My inquiry is: “Is there a viable approach using FFmpeg to amalgamate these PNGs into an MP4 video file that’s compatible with Quicktime?”

1 Like

Yes, a collection of PNG images can be combined with FFmpeg to create a Quicktime-compatible MP4 video. To do this, you’ll use the PNGs to make a video and set variables like the codec, frame rate, and video settings.

Here are the steps to follow:

1. Install FFmpeg

Install FFmpeg using the below links on your system:

2. Prepare your PNG images:

Place them all in a specific directory and arrange them so that they may be combined into a single MP4 file. To keep the proper order in the final video, it’s crucial to give them sequential names like image1.png, image2.png, and so on.

3. Use FFmpeg to create the MP4 video

Go to the directory where the PNG images are located by opening your command prompt or terminal. Run the FFmpeg command listed below to create an MP4 video from the PNGs:

ffmpeg -framerate 30 -i image%d.png -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p output.mp4

• -framerate 30: Sets the video frame rate to 30 frames per second. You can adjust this value to match your desired frame rate.
  • -i image%d.png: Specifies the input image files using a filename pattern. %d serves as a placeholder for sequential numbers, and FFmpeg will automatically detect and utilize all the PNG images in the correct sequence.
  • -c:v libx264: Chooses the H.264 video codec, a widely compatible codec for Quicktime and various other platforms.
  • -pix_fmt yuv420p: Defines the pixel format as yuv420p, a format that works well with many media players, including Quicktime.
  • output.mp4: Names the output file for the MP4 video. Feel free to modify this filename to suit your preferences.

4. Converting process

The PNG pictures will be processed by FFmpeg to create the MP4 video. The quantity and quality of the photographs will determine how long this process takes.

5. Verification

Verify the MP4 video after the process is finished by opening the output.Check that the content is correctly formatted and compatible with Quicktime by playing an mp4 file using Quicktime or any other compatible video player.

These steps will show you how to smoothly combine a collection of PNG photos into an MP4 video that is optimized for Quicktime compatibility. To meet your unique needs, adjust the frame rate, codec, and other options as appropriate.

1 Like

Thank you for providing the details. This method seems straightforward. Are there any alternative methods to achieve the same result?

1 Like

Yes, there are several approaches available, based on your requirements and tastes. Use FFmpeg’s image sequence input format if you’re working with different image formats or if you want more control over the video encoding. It lets you choose the format for both the input and the output. Here’s one instance:

ffmpeg -framerate 30 -start_number 1 -i frame_%03d.png -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vf "pad=width:height:x:y" output.mp4

You can change the start number, input and output formats, codec, and pixel format among other factors with this command. You can also apply filters to the video using the -vf option, including padding and scaling.

1 Like

I noticed in the FFmpeg command, there’s a parameter -pix_fmt yuv420p . What’s the purpose of specifying the pixel format as yuv420p, and is it necessary?

1 Like

When making MP4 videos, it’s essential to specify the pixel format as yuv420p. Most of the time, compatibility with different video players and devices including Quicktime must be guaranteed. This is the reason it matters:

• Colour Subsampling: The YUV colour space with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling is denoted by the pixel format yuv420p. To put it plainly, it indicates that colour information is compressed to minimise file size. While the U and V channels (chrominance) are subsampled, meaning they contain less colour information, the Y channel (luminance) is kept at full resolution.

• Widespread Compatibility: The yuv420p pixel format may be played with a lot of video players, such as Quicktime. Selecting this format guarantees that your video will work on a variety of platforms and be broadly compatible.

• File Size Reduction: You can lower the file size without significantly sacrificing the apparent quality of the movie by utilising yuv420p. This is crucial for effective video compression in particular.

For compatibility, it is advised to select the pixel format as yuv420p. However, you can experiment with different pixel formats based on your particular requirements. Nonetheless, yuv420p is a reliable option for producing MP4 files that are compatible with Quicktime and should function well on a variety of hardware and video players.